Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Stew

Stew was on the agenda for lots of blogs last week. The Daring Cooks April challenge of Brunswick Stew conquered the blogosphere, the air redolent with hearty stew aromas. I was flat broke and just couldn't fit it into the budget unfortunately, so I had to miss out, and tonight's dinner is my 'almost' challenge stew. As in, I bought a bunch of things, then ran out of money for the meat side, and now have to use up the ingredients. Plus, since it's no longer for the challenge, I'm throwing in a bunch of other things too. Like fresh from the garden pumpkin my mother grew, and some French Onion soup mix, because I'm a nut for that stuff.

Not-Quite-Brunswick Stew
850g peeled, seeded pumpkin, cut into chunks (you could obviously use less, to personal preference, or depending on how big your pumpkins are.)
500g new potatoes, cut into quarters
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 onions, cut into 12ths (or chunks, however you like)
2 sticks celery, cut into chunks
500g chicken (I used thighs)
400g can whole peeled tomatoes
400g can butterbeans
40g pk French Onion Soup mix

Throw everything into your slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. I find chicken goes stringy if you cook on LOW for 8 hours, but if you don't mind that, or need to be out of the house for longer, feel free to cook it that way instead.

0 comments: