Sunday, April 4, 2010

Orange and Poppyseed Bread


Orange and Poppyseed Bread (from Breads from your breadmaker - Richard Carroll)
Zest of 2 oranges
Juice of 2 oranges, plus enough water to measure 300mls
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp honey
500g wholemeal Bread Mix
40g poppyseeds
2 tsp instant dry yeast

Place ingredients into the bread pan in the order listed, insert into the breadmaker and close the lid.

Program: Basic
Size: Medium
Crust: Medium


Very nice hot from the machine, spread with creamed honey, but surprisingly good the next day cold with vegemite!

This was an entry for
The Cookbook Challenge: Week 20 - Tangy.

6 comments:

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

Not sure what surprises me more - that it is good with Vegemite, or that you actually tried it with Vegemite.

Orange + poppyseed = win

SilverMoon Dragon said...

The picture in the cookbook had a chicken and salad sandwich on it, so I figured it was ok for savoury. Plus, the night before, fresh from the oven, it wasn't very sweet or orangy. Either the flavours developed overnight, or the salty vegemite brought them out.

I'm not afraid to do the salty/sweet thing though. I use to dip my fries into my 30c Cone at McDonalds... ah, remember the days when they were only 30c?

April @ My Food Trail said...

I've never seen orange and poppy seed bread before, only cake or muffins! I guess they would be pretty similar though!

SilverMoon Dragon said...

I guess. It didn't have a very pronounced orange flavour though, so it was more like a regular poppyseed bread, with a subtle hint of orange in the background.

Jo - SecondHelping said...

I wonder what it would be like toasted?

SilverMoon Dragon said...

Oh Jo, I wish I'd thought of that while there was leftovers still!

Mind you, there was only two slices left the next day, and they didn't make a second night without getting eaten! We ate almost the whole loaf hot with melty butter fresh from the bread machine.