Thursday, April 15, 2010

Kids Cooking Thursday: Chocolate Crackles - by request!

Our friend Nick is planning on coming down from Melbourne to terrorise the children, and requested we make him some chocolate crackles. Now, I could have made the "proper", more traditional, recipe, but I don't really like copha, and I think my recipe is a lot nicer. Easier too. (For all my Northern Hemisphere readers, when I say Mars Bars, I mean Milky Ways, or any generic chocolate coated, caramel topped, whipped fluffy nougat type confection. And Coco Pops are chocolate flavoured Rice Crispies.)

Mars Bar Chocolate Crackles
200g chopped Mars Bars
70g chopped milk chocolate
50g butter
3 cups coco pops

Melt first three ingredients, either in the microwave, or in a saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently to ensure a smooth mixture, and prevent burning. Plus, it will give everyone a turn to stir.


Master Five going so fast you can't see the spoon!


Master One looking adorable

Don't let the mixture cool down too much during stirring, or it will start setting too early. Mix in the coco pops.


Miss Four having fun

Place spoonfuls into patty cases, and refrigerate until set, about 2-3 hours.


Makes 20 mini ones, and 6 full sized ones


If you'd like to join in with Kids Cooking Thursday please leave a permalink to your own Kids Cooking Thursday post, as per the rules.

2 comments:

MuMmARat said...

MMMMMMM choc crackles!! I do like your version, I hate copha, going to give these a go.

I should have added witht the sausage rolls we made, I really liked that recipe it didn't use any egg, just the soaked bread slices to hold it together, it worked realy well. I'll give some pinwheels a go over the weekend...and maybe some chicken mince ones. Rat_girl has loved having them in her lunch box and bragging that she made them her self!

I think it's pizza next week.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

Perfect! I don't like copha either - I find it quite suspicious.

Fabulous recipe :)