Saturday, February 20, 2010

Teriyaki Beef with Soba Noodles

I ran into a little trouble with this weeks cookbook challenge. I don't have a single Japanese cookbook. We don't eat a lot of seafood or rice in our house, and it's just one of those cuisines I've never gotten a cookbook for. So I pulled out the old standby, my massive food magazine collection, and hope that will have to do. We do quite like soba noodles, and this was easy and tasty.

Teriyaki Beef with Soba Noodles Taken from Super Food Ideas, June 2008
270g packet soba noodles (see note)
600g lean beef rump steak, thinly sliced across the grain
2 tablespoons peanut oil
4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into thin matchsticks
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 1/2 cups beansprouts, trimmed

1. Cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Rinse under cold water.

2. Heat a wok over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil. Swirl to coat. Add half the beef. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until sealed. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 2 teaspoons of oil and remaining beef.

3. Add remaining oil to wok. Add ginger and onion. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is soft. Return beef and juices to wok. Add sauce and noodles. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until noodles are heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in beansprouts. Serve.


I used a little less meat, as I tend towards only 100g per person, and my supermarket didn't have any fresh ginger, so I skipped that. I bought spring onions, thinking they were green onions, but now I am not so sure. And the canned beansprouts were very expensive so I used a can of chinese vegetables that had beansprouts, bamboo, water chestnuts and other stuff instead. I like water chestnuts. Probably ended up nothing like the original recipe tasted, but we liked it regardless.

This was an entry for
The Cookbook Challenge: Week 14 - Japanese.


Don't forget to get messy with your young 'uns for Kids In The Kitchen, training our next generation of food bloggers! ;)

1 comments:

April @ My Food Trail said...

This sounds delicious & quick and healthy!