Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Peach Cup-pies

I had a lot of trouble with this month's Taste & Create. Not because there was nothing to cook, oh no. I spent 7 hours pouring over Cupcake Project, frantically bookmarking recipes! I was completely spoilt for choice. If I had the time, I'd bake my whole shortlist, and put it up in one post, but unfortunately I have children, and housework, and can't sit around doing nothing but making cupcakes. In light of my desire to drop another two dress sizes, I think that's probably for the best.

I very seriously considered making the Nian Gao Cupcakes for Chinese New Year a few days ago, but I had none of the ingredients on hand, and well, I had a lot of peaches. Look forwards to more peach posts coming soon. There were three other cupcake recipes on my short-shortlist, but I'm not going to put them here, because I plan on cooking them later in the month. Not for Taste & Create, just because I can't resist. I will point you towards the Strawberry Sorbet though. In the end I made these lovely little peach pies with only the smallest of changes. Ok, forgetting to buy Brie might be considered a big change, because it seems to be the main point of the recipe, but still...

I switched the lemon zest and juice out for lime, because I had a lime, and it needed using. Mmmm, lime and peach... *drools* and I also traded the 1/2 tsp cinnamon and the 1/4 tsp nutmeg for 1 tsp speculaas spices, because I had them in the house and everything tastes better with speculaas spices. The peaches were a bit overpowered

I made these on Saturday, to bring to a birthday party on Sunday, so I made some of the pies with little heart centers.

If I was hoping for a Valentine's Day present from DP, this would be more appropriate.

DP doesn't "do" the Hallmark Holidays. I got him a pack of Cadbury Jaffas.
Really only because they were new. I'd have bought them regardless of the day. I do that a lot.

2 comments:

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

These look cute AND delicious. Lime, peach and spices?? Yum!

I know the pain of not being able to decide between recipes. Then, if your choice turns out to be crap, you're far more gutted than you otherwise would be as you had so many other potentially great choices! :)

Also, Jaffas = awesome gift.

Stef said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed my blog and the cup-pies. I love the idea of lime! Yummy! It's funny that we were both thinking peach! I made your peaches n' cream. It was fantastic!