Thursday, February 11, 2010

Kids Cooking Thursday: Hazelnut Coconut Puffs


It seems being a pack rat runs in the family. Master 5 has been clipping recipes from cereal boxes. The problem is, because of the move, and Oma's ruthless cleaning, he's clipped (and lost) the same recipe 3 times. I saw this recipe in his cupboard the other week, just before my mother came around to help me tidy, something she does once a month, and the next day it was gone. I wasn't about to buy more cereal to go through all that again, so yesterday at the supermarket I took a photo of that side of the box.

This also allowed me to buy Cocoa Puffs, instead of Rice Puffs, because these recipes always taste better with a little extra chocolate. We added a cup of sultanas, but that turned out to be a mistake, because then they were too crumbly to shape, so then I had to melt some chocolate, and that made it too wet... here follows the recipe as I should have done it.

Hazelnut Coconut Puffs
3/4 cup hazelnut spread
100g butter
3 cups Rice Bubbles/Coco Pops
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 extra large egg
1/4 cup 100s & 1000s

Melt the hazelnut spread and butter together on low heat. Be careful not to scorch the spread. Cool slightly.

Mix the coco pops and 1 cup of the coconut in a large bowl. Mix in the hazelnut mixture and the egg and stir well. Squeeze mixture into small bowls.

Combine the remaining coconut and the 100s & 1000s in a shallow bowl, and roll the balls in to coat. Chill until firm.

Makes 25, and a large tray full when everyone is sick of shaping balls.




If you'd like to join in with Kids Cooking Thursday please leave a permalink to your own Kids Cooking Thursday post, as per the rules.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look so scrumptious and would be a great project for me to do with my daughter today! I also loved your Brazilian Iced chocolate for the culinary tour, yum!

SilverMoon Dragon said...

Thanks, that's the idea :D

We'd love to see the results if you cook these, or anything you and your daughter cook together.