Saturday, February 6, 2010

Brazilian Iced Chocolate


I saw this recipe about two years ago, on About.com, when I was looking for recipes from South America. I never had much of an excuse to try it, and so it sat in my Unsorted > Recipes > Drinks bookmarks folder. (Yes, that is the folder structure. I'm pretty anal with my bookmarks, I have to be, with all the great recipes I find, and never try but don't want to lose lol). When I saw Foodalogue was doing a Culinary Tour, with a stop in Brazil, it came to mind straight away.

2oz (56g) unsweetened chocolate (I used the Chilli Chocolate type)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup hot water
3 tsps coffee powder (or omit the hot water and use 1 cup hot espresso)
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups Cola, cold

Place the first 4 ingredients in a bowl, and stir combined and melted. Add milk once everything is well combined. Chill in fridge. Right before serving, add cold Cola. Serve over ice.

I was a little worried the cola would make the milk fizz up, but it didn't. It's funny though, the choc/coffee milk before the cola went in was sweet, like a mocha milkshake, and the cola on it's own was sweet, but once they were combined, the drink had a bit of a bitter aftertaste, like unsugared coffee. Only, with so much sugar it hurt my teeth. Although that could have been the 20 odd ice cubes I put in the glass. It's good though, I thought the milk would have been too cloying and sweet for a hot day, but this cuts that out completely.

This was an entry for Foodalogue's Culinary Tour 2010, the Brazilian leg.

4 comments:

FOODalogue said...

what a unique beverage with coffee, chocolate and cola. It's like dessert in a glass. Thanks for bringing it on the tour.

SilverMoon Dragon said...

It has a great caffeine hit!

Lara said...

What a unique combination. I will have to add it to my own weird filling system for when the weather warms up here!

Global Table Adventure said...

I've been looking for a great drink/dessert for my Brazilian meal (I'm cooking one meal for every country in the world) .... I'm really glad to find this drink since I read that Brazil loves coffee and chocolate - perfect! :)

I think I'll simplify, though, and go for pre-made chocolate milk, coffee, and soda. I have a one year old and need to keep things simple :)

Thanks!
Sasha