Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Crockpot chicken stock

Last night, straight after dinner, I took the carcass from yesterday's roast chicken, and put it back in the slow cooker. I hadn't emptied the chicken juices out yet, and to that I added 6 cups of water. I also threw in a packet of frozen soup vegetables. Don't ask me what was in that, as my mother made them up and put them in my freezer. I saw grated carrot, peas, and some other green stuff. I'm thinking flat leaf parsley maybe? I let the lot simmer on LOW for 13 hours. When it had cooled, I skimmed off the fat, and poured it into freezers bags, measuring out 1 cup at a time. Then I froze them lying flat on a baking tray.


This is 7 cups... I almost got 8.

Now I have 7 cups worth of stock tucked away in my freezer for crockpot meals, risotto, or soups, and I won't have to buy chicken stock for a while at least.

0 comments: