Friday, July 18, 2008

Sugar High Friday: Straw/Blue Berry Turnovers


Straw/Blue Berry Turnovers (served with double choc ice cream)

I didn't follow a recipe for this, just made it up as I went along, so some of the measurements aren't exact. You'll need two thawed sheets of puff pastry. Well, I wanted 8 pastries, to serve 4 people, but you can adjust this as needed. Slice the pastry into square quarters, but leave on the blue plastic for easier handling.

I found it easier to score a line about 1cm in from the edge, all the way around the whole sheet, to show where my 'seam allowance' (to borrow a sewing phrase) was, and to lightly score a line down the diagonal centre of each quarter piece, to show the fold line. That way I had a neat triangle shown for where the filling went, making the next step heaps easier.

Get some Strawberry Philly with Fruit, and with a knife or the back of a spoon, smear a liberal layer inside the triangle area. Don't go into the 'seam allowance' or the pastry won't seal properly and you'll get a mess during baking. Then top generously with frozen blueberries. Fresh if you can get them I guess, but I'm not paying $7 for a 200g punnet.


Take one corner of the pastry square and fold it over, creating a triangle, and seal the edges with a fork. Bake at 180°C for around 15mins or until golden. Be thankful you don't have to sit in front of the oven holding the gas knob for the whole time to keep your oven lit like I had to tonight. Then take out, and serve hot with ice cream. Chocolate works well, or you could use a berry flavour, to really get that berry overload happening for ya.


Ready for baking



This has been an entry for Sugar High Friday #45: Berries! hosted this month by Susan at Food Blogga.

Sugar High Fridays was dreamed up by Jennifer at The Domestic Goddess

***Round up is here***

1 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

You held the button of the oven the entire time?! You get a gold star in my book. :)

I love turnovers, and your method of making them looks so much easier than I remember. Thanks for the submission, and welcome to SHF!