Friday, February 29, 2008

Danny's Tuna Casserole

A while back I asked my family for their favourite recipes, to put together a recipe folder for my nephew who likes to cook. What follows is verbatim what I got in an email from my brother's fioncee.

Danny's Tuna Casserole
1 pack of plain chips (crushed)
1 tin tuna in brine (drained)
1 can creamed corn
1 can Tomato soup
Good handful of rice
Good dash of your condiment of choice (if you so desire i.e. Chilli sauce etc etc)

Mix thoroughly, put into casserole dish and into oven till browning crisply on top and hot all way through (typically 30 min pending on depth of dish)

Given those somewhat dubious instructions (no oven temp, no packet/tin sizes), this is what we ended up with. (Oh, I put the oven on 180°C, but it could have been a little higher I think. Try 190°C, and keep an eye on it)

It tastes as appetizing as it looks.

I think it could have standed having only a 1/4 of the sugar in it that it did, needed salt too. Miss Two had one bite, but Master Three was eventually persuaded to eat his. I've had something very similar to this with mushroom soup instead of tomato, and without the creamed corn. That was tasty. This is not one I'll be making again.

DP (who doesn't eat fish) really enjoyed his steak sandwich though.

0 comments: